As the summer rolls around, I have started to think about all the ways to involve my two little munchkins in some summer activities to keep them moving, cruising, fab, fit, exercising, active and having F-U-N!
By no means do I want to instill any body image issues in my girls, so it is very important to me that their activities be of pure fun and enjoyment at this age. I want to also keep their activity level high and make sure they stay healthy and fit!
So, today while pondering how they can destroy my house in the half hour before school time…literally, it is like a Hurricane blew through here (I know you can relate!), I started thinking about this topic and decided to start a list for my Richly Middle Class Family and myself. After all – We are in this together ladies.
SAY NO TO TV but… MAYBE Wii?
- Sounds crazy right? Who would have EVER thought we would not be screaming, “Turn those video games off little laddie, they will ROT YOUR BRAINS!” (That was said in a scary, rickety voice in my head.) Hehe, I’m making myself laugh here. Well, apparently, we don’t ALWAYS have to turn the games off – as long as our kids are actively moving while playing.
- Games, such as, Dance Dance revolution, Wii Fit & Wii sports are all said to burn as many calories as moderate walking. Trust me, if you could see my 7 year-old boogie (yes, I said boogie) on Dance Dance Revolution, you would fall over from exhaustion just trying to keep up watching her!
- And always remember, everything is ok in moderation!
- These places are amazing! Has anyone ever been to Gymboree, The Little Gym, or any other similar gym in your area?
- This is a place for kids (and parents) to do age appropriate activities that engage, stimulate and activate your child.
- They newest trend is kid’s Yoga and Zumba!!!
- New mommies there is almost always something for new baby and you to bond over, check it out!!
- The latest, craziest, amazingest, hip-est…(Ok I ran out of words)…kid-friendly fun activity to do….ZUMBA!
- Zumba is a latin dance inspired fitness program and is now not only for adults but for kids/families as well! Can you say CALIENTE!!!!
- Find Zumba all over now!
- Great exercise, dancing and FUN!
- Personal note: My daughter had a Zumba day at her preschool and it was adorable. They had a Zumba instructor come in and at random times throughout the day, they broke out in flash Zumba…STOP…ZUMBA TIME!
- I know you are thinking, um, seriously, we knew that. But, I am going to tell you that organized sports don’t always guarantee an adequate amount of activity and exercise for your child…but your participation can.
- COACH! Get involved! Coach your child’s team as much as possible, make sure they are having fun and in activities they love and enjoy.
- Encourage your kids to try activities and types of exercise/sports they might be weary of, but most importantly be understanding of their fear!
- Luckily it is summer, summer, S-U-M-M-E-R!!!!!
- So, it is seemingly easy to get outside and get active but it is essential to be a positive role model for your kiddos, so get moving!
- Swimming, biking, hiking, and any activity that keeps your heart rate up will keep theirs up as well and ensure your child stays fit, fab, healthy and still has fun!
- INSIDER SECRET: Now, I am not a doctor but I do happen to know that it IS OK to let your kids play in the winter, just bundle them up on the not so extremely freezing day (please do not let your kids go out in the freezing weather and point back at my blog post if they get sick!) and let them run around! When they sit around inside all winter, surrounded by germs, that is one way they get sick!
Now go and have a wonderful fit, fab, fun, fantastical, family summer and get some exercise with your kiddos by trying some of these activities! Let me know how it goes!!!
I will update you throughout the summer on Doug, Hayley, Mia & My progress!
Xoxo for now,
Written by: Kate Heidelberger
Source: Yoga Picture